Day 10: The End of the Lycians

Today was my last day in Fethiye. I had the same delicious breakfast: toast with honey and cream cheese. Excellent. I doubt I’ll have it when I go back, but for now it really hits the spot.

I grabbed my off-road scooter and headed out for the Lycian tombs. Lycia was a region around Turkey prior to Jesus (peace be upon him) and their people are known to have fought on the side of Trojans against the Greeks in the famous war of Troy. They were conquered once and after their last stand when the Lycian army realized they couldn’t win they killed their own women and children first, their villages and crops burned, and then with a finale: mass suicide.

That was a prety simplistic story of the Lycians, but that’s about all that I know for right now. Their tombs are CARVED on the side of mountains. You can see them from a very far distance. I went past the fence of the first mountain and scaled it on the side… very carefully. It was a little wet from the rain the night before. It was a little nervewracking especially when im hanging off 5 inches of mountain trying to get to another side. How do the officials leave this area open? It’s not very safe.

The tombs were pretty cool. They have elaborate carvings to replicate tile and iron. From far away it seems as if they installed iron doors with decorations and put in pillars of marble, but when you get to the tombs it becomes obvious that the entire thing is carved out of the mountain. They put the bodies inside the walls, much like they did in Heirapolis, and close it off. I found inscriptions on the bottom of the tombs, but no translation was offered.


Faraway look of the 1st mountain I went up.




The view from the tombs.


Fake entrance into the tombs


Long... winding steps down.

Afterwards I went to another mountain, and then headed off to the “Crusader Castle”, which was a structure the Christians built on their way to Jerusalem. En route, I saw a wedding procession or some kind of huge party in the fields by the tombs and almost crashed my scooter trying to avoid a GIANT lizard running across the side of the road. There were kids there warning me, but I couldn’t figure out their hand gestures until the very last moment. The lizard completely blended in the the road. There should be a list of animal hazards with every scooter rental.


The gigantic flag looks small here.

The castle was pretty boring. It just offered a nice view, and the Turkish flag on top was the largest flag I’ve ever seen. It could easily pass as a scarf for King Kong.

When I got back to the hotel, I packed my things and headed to the Otogart. Felt a little weird. Only two and a half more days and this trip is over. No more Turkish tea four times a day or fresh baklava.

The bus ride back was pretty long. I tried my best to knock out as long as possible, but that didn’t work. On top of that, it took an extra THREE HOURS. Good thing the seat next to mine was empty because I sprawled out nice and comfy.

Tomorrow: Arrive in Istanbul, check back in to the Historia hotel, visit the grand bazaar again, finally see the Blue Mosque, and check out Taksim.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>